Thursday, May 10, 2012

Ft. Custer

The morning of Fort Custer started like any other, “Why am I doing this?” “Why didn’t I pre-register?” “Why do I have butterflies when I’ve done this a million times?” etc. ….  All the way to Augusta I was questioning why I race if it makes me feel so anxious.  I tried to convince myself I should just be a recreational rider.
Upon arrival I see my family members and it offers me comfort that this is just another race.  Although I secretly know it isn’t.    After gaining confidence at Yankee I had mentally prepped myself for what I wanted to accomplish.  I wanted a better time AND I wanted a better than 2nd place finish than the year before. I was hoping for a sub-45 minute first lap and a 45ish 2nd lap.  It would mean taking nearly 3 minutes off my 2011 time, but if I could do it I was pretty sure that I would get a podium spot.  
At the line there was a rather large field compared to other races.  I knew the course had changed and the really big hills were re-routed.  I was worried about this because I don’t feel like flats are my strength.  I knew many of the faces with the exception of one.  I struck up a conversation only to learn her name was Kim and that based upon her training, she was probably going to be pretty strong. 
I knew I didn’t want to be first into the woods.  As we entered I was second – perfect!  That didn’t last long.  The girl I was following burned out quick and I was now at the front. That didn’t last long either.  I was easily passed by Kim within the first couple miles.   Kim, Heather and I rode away pretty quickly from the group, but Kim rode away faster and I eventually lost sight.  Again, I tried not to worry too much because this was a long race, roughly 17 miles total. 
The trail at Fort Custer is difficult, to say the least.  Without pre-riding, I had forgotten a lot of the technical stuff.  A surprise spot had my bike heading straight down a sandy, rocky section with my bum levitating above my back tire because it was so steep.  Throughout the first lap I accidently unclipped 3 times due to corners, speed and rocks.  As we approached the end of the first lap, Heather and I catch up to teammate Jane Van-Hof who had started with the “young girls”.  The three of us worked together through the spectator area (which I’m sure looked awesome), but it quickly fell apart as we entered the woods for the second lap.  Jane is super strong on the flats and now seems to have a fire in her to make up some lost time.  Bye, bye Jane!
Heather and I had a pretty good lead on the rest of the field, but where was Kim?  I was growing frustrated several times thinking I saw her only to be disappointed.  I rode harder than I wanted to in an attempt catch up.   As I came through the tall pines, could it really be her?  IT IS!!  But, what is going on? It appears she and 2 other riders are being held up at the road.   I push hard to make-up the distance between us and arrive just as they are cleared to cross.  The volunteer apologizes and without a look back I hear Kim say, “Do you want to pass?”  My response was a simple “sure” and I got around her as fast as I could.  What was said next shouldn’t be publishedJ  She catches back up pretty quick and passes me again.  I grab on her wheel and planned on sitting there except she appeared to be dying on the last hill.  So, as is always the case, I couldn’t stop myself from passing.   
As we came to the last stretch of flat, I was sitting out front-right where I didn’t want to be. I didn’t know how far back she was and I didn’t dare look.  I wasn’t feeling too bad, but I knew we still had a ways to go to the finish.  Finally, I think I am going to get relief as two different guys pass me.  My attempts to summon each for mercy and allow me on their wheel either went unheard or they simply didn’t care.  The last few minutes remain in my head vividly.  Kim passed me and I grabbed her wheel.  She was pedaling hard and downshifting.  I stayed with her staring at her tire until I thought my eyes were going to bulge out of my head.   As the trail opened and the crowd became visible, I made my move.  My front tire lifted, my tongue was hanging out and my face must have looked like it was in a vice.  As we crossed the line, side by side, I knew her tire had me by a sliver. 
After I stopped seeing stars, I learned I had missed out on first place by 1 second.  Heather came in shortly after me and wrapped up 3rd pretty handily and Jane took 4th in her age group.  I didn’t get my sub-45 minute first lap but it was close.  Both laps were 45ish and I had dropped only 8 seconds on my 2nd lap.  I was happiest with that accomplishment, although breaking the 2nd place curse would have been nice too. 

3 comments:

  1. Ugh, I know what you mean about the 2nd place curse!! But 2nd place is still awesome anyway. ;) Sounds like some intense racing! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As usual I just hung on for dear life. Nice wreiting :-)

    ReplyDelete