Monday, May 7, 2012

Fort Custer Stampede- Girls 11-14

As I was lining up to the start of Fort Custer, I had a feeling that it was going to be a good race.  Then we took off, I was pedaling as fast as I could.  Everything was going great.  When I got to Granny's Garden, I was feeling great. I blew through with a breeze!  Near the end of Granny's Garden, I knew a big rocky hill was coming up. I started shifting, and I couldn't make it up.  When I got to the top, something was wrong with my bike!  Dave Lenting from Leadout was behind me trying to catch up with Gabrielle.  He stopped to help me.  As he was trying to find out the problem, all I could do was sit there and watch all of the other people from my group pass by.  After what felt like 10 minutes, my mom came along, and Dave used her multi-tool to fix my bike.  I got on my bike, as fast as I could and took off.  By now, I was frustrated and upset!  I came to a downhill.  I flew down and shot up the hill, and made a quick turn on gravel.  My bike slid and I wiped out. As I was falling, I could see a girl in my group not too far away.  In pain I grabbed my bike and started up again. 



 I had my mind set on catching her.  My mom was saying to catch the girl before the Trenches, because for me, that was my favorite part and hard to pass. When I got to the Trenches, I still hadn't passed her.  I was right behind her, ready to pass. As we were nearing the end of the Trenches, I saw a passing spot.  There were two paths, one up, where you could go up and down a small hill, or the other, where you make a quick turn.  They were both good paths.  She took the up and down one, I saw my chance and passed.  I didn't want her passing me, so I took off. As the race was nearing the end, I saw another girl.  I stuck right behind her ready to pass.  I knew we had less than a mile left.  I tried to pass, but it was hard now.  I could hear people cheering.  We both started sprinting at the same time. I could see the finish.  I put all my effort into it and just barely beat her!  I was so tired after the race. I was happy with my results considering all that I had been through.  When it was time for awards, I was grateful for getting 3rd place.
                                                               Ellie K.


                                                 Gabrielle 1st, Ellie 3rd

4 comments:

  1. Great to see so many RWT gals racing. Gabrielle took 1st, Tammy 2nd, Heather 3rd, Ellie 3rd,Jane 4th and Kiersen 4th. This is going to be a good season!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved reading the report! Thanks Ellie! And way to go everyone! Sounds like a great day for RWT at Ft. Custer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job, Ellie!! Loved your report.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are off to a great racing career! It takes great emotional effort to not give up when things go wrong. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete