Sunday, April 21, 2013

Mountaineer Pi Run


Race Report (Pi 5K)
Yesterday my mom, Ellie and I went to Byron Center for the Mountaineer Pi 5Krun. When we got there it was cold but the sun was coming up. We were a little late because all of the other people from my school were already there. My sister and I headed in the building to get our numbers. When we got out all of the other “Trail Dawgs” were warming up but we caught most of them. Then we stretched and headed to the start line.  My cousin and I lined up close to the front but not directly in front. When he blew the horn we sprinted down the hill and around the first corner. We caught a lot of people in the first long stretch. Our strategies were to stride down the down hills and hammer it up the up hills. When we turned into the subdivision my cousin was starting to get ahead of me and it seems like every time I caught her she would leave me. We turned onto a different street that had runners going both ways. When we caught two girls from my school and passed them. One of them wouldn’t give up easy and caught us. The three of us were together until we turned at the two mile mark. I was staying with the girl pretty well but we dropped my cousin about half way through that stretch. When we turned on to the second to last road we picked up the pace. I stuck with the girl through the downhill but she dropped me on our way back up. A little bit after she left my cousin caught me. On our way up the very last hill where the finish line was I could tell my cousin was hurting. We sprinted up the last hill and I got her by two seconds. The other girl ended up beating me by nineteen seconds. I ended up getting first place in my age group, so did my mom. .


My time was 27:55, which was faster than I ran at Gazelle Girl last weekend. In the end we all got FREE PIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!      
Kiersen K.

5 comments:

  1. Great write-up Kiers! I didn't know so much happened during your race. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet race!! I think my favorite part is the fact that you got free PIE at the finish!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet race!! I think my favorite part is the fact that you got free PIE at the finish!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job! Free pie and first place is the best - congratulations! Congrats to your mom too for her first place. Nice job this weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy cow Kiersen, that is an awesome time for a 5k!! Way to push it!

    ReplyDelete