Thursday, May 5, 2011

Ft. Custer Stampede


I’m not as eloquent with words but thought I’d give it a try posting the race recap/results from Ft. Custer.


I had a great time for my first (or second) “official” mountain bike race.


We had a beautiful day for racing. By the time the sport and beginners divisions started it was actually sunny and hot. But I’m not complaining!


Anyways - the race. Tammy and Heather, both looking unbelievably relaxed, started the Sport class and then it was time for me to prepare for the Beginners class which started an hour later. I would be starting with Ellie and Kiersen Korienek on my tail. I lined up at the start line with 10 additional beginners, aged 19 plus. As the gun went off my goal was to be near the front as we entered the trail, since I have no idea how to pass. I entered the trail in second place, right on the wheel of first place. Very quickly we came into traffic and she was able to get by the rider and I waited until I felt comfortable to get around. By that time, she was still in my sight but had quite a lead. I tried to make up the distance but it just wasn’t happening. On a short descent I took a wrong line and went off the trail, into some sand (sand or tree, I chose the sand) and the 3rd place person passed me so now I was riding 3rd. Not to long after that there was a large, deep water section. Glad I didn’t know how deep or else I would have freaked! But once in it, you had to ride through. It was at the bottom of a very large hill called Cardiac Climb, quite appropriately named. As I approached the hill I saw that everyone was walking up the hill. Now this kills me – I’d much rather bike up the hill but coming up on those walking makes it a challenge. So I jumped off my bike and started walking. This is when the 4th place person passed me so now I was 4th. I stayed with her for quite a while until I had a mishap with the pricker bush. Well, maybe not bush, it was pricker ground covering – it was everywhere! I have no idea what, if anything, I hit. All I know is that I was off the trail, in the prickers and I thought the whole field passed me as I laid there. (PS Coach Korienek did advise me after the race that this was not a good racing strategy! :-)) I got back on my bike knowing that I had to finish but riding very skiddish. Near the end of the race I felt some confidence return and I knew I had to get around the girl in front of me. I also thought we were coming to the finish so I started to sprint (plus this is my favorite part of the race). I passed probably 12-18 people in the last ½ mile of the course. Where I first thought the finish was wasn’t but I was able to maintain my speed and finished strong. As I finished I gave Heather and Tammy a few words (I’d been working on them throughout the course). What were they trying to do, kill me? Heather pulled up the results and to my surprise, I’d finished in 4th place! And then I heard the additional results for the day. Tammy had finished 2nd and Heather had finished 4th in the Sport Division! I was so excited! Podium finishes for all 3 of us!!!


I was able to pull myself together (still working on getting prickers and blood off my legs and arms) and got to see both Ellie and Kiersen finish. Ellie finished 3rd (another podium finish for RWT) and Kiersen finished 6th. Kiersen was the only girl racing in her division. I definitely think there should be a award for that!


What a great day for Real Women Tri!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment